Risa's Noodle Soup
(makes two servings)
2 - 3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed with the flat side of a knife
3 slices of fresh ginger about the width of a quarter
1 piece (about 4 x 4 inches) kombu seaweed
2 tablespoons bonito fish flakes (katsuboshi)
2 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 - 3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons dried wakame seaweed
2 servings of noodles, such as soba, ramen, or udon
2 green onions, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces
1. To make the broth, combine the garlic, ginger, kombu, bonito flakes, and water in a medium saucepan and warm over a medium heat, uncovered.2. When the broth has almost come to a boil (in other words, it has started to steam and display small bubbles), remove the kombu.
3. Bring the broth to a boil, and simmer for another 3 to 5 minutes.
4. Pour the broth through a strainer, dividing it evenly between two bowls.
5. Add the soy sauce and sesame oil, again dividing them evenly between the two bowls.
6. Add about 1 tablespoon of wakame to each bowl. It will rehydrate almost instantly and expand greatly.
7. In the meantime, cook the noodles according to the directions on the package. Strain and divide between the two bowls. Stir.
8. Garnish with green onions and serve.